Friday, February 15, 2008

Opposed to Jail Expansion (open letter to County Board and City Council)

I'm strongly opposed to Eau Claire putting a jail on one of the nicest riverfront areas in the city. Having lived in other U.S cities with riverfront areas, I’ve seen the good that can come with proper planning and use of such destination areas. The thought of putting a jail in the proposed downtown area is absolutely ridiculous, and I hope you will oppose it. Future generations will look back at this decision as either a “what were they thinking??”, or will appreciate that the riverfront business/residential area has been preserved and expanded.

It also has become very personal to me in that it is directly affecting the future of Just Local Food. I’ve been a loyal customer since moving to Eau Claire, and have even begun working there (as a second job) because I believe so strongly in the local food movement.

I look forward to hearing your position on this matter, and what you will do to oppose it.

Respectfully,
Laura Sommer